As the Ohio Territory became populated, it was only natural that the surveyed townships should become the basic unit of local government. In 1818, 15 years after the establishment of the State of Ohio in 1803 and Miami County in 1807, Monroe Township, the most south-central township in Miami County, developed its governing body. In the early years, township government cared for the poor, maintained the roads, preserved the peace, registered brands and fulfilled the needs of local government generally.
The Monroe Township Building was erected about 1915 on the
southeast corner of Third and Main Streets in Tipp City.
This building provided a permanent meeting place for all
official meetings of Monroe Township to conduct business.
The building was also a community gathering place for traveling
play groups, school functions, and town meetings.
In 1916 a big Seth Thomas town clock was installed on the
building. The clock was originally designed to run and be
rewound every eight days, but was later fully automated and
to this day continues to chime out the hours.
Just as they were in 1818, Monroe Township and all other Ohio townships are a political subdivision of the state of Ohio. As such, townships have only those powers granted to it by the state legislature and perform functions defined by the state. To keep pace with the demands of changing times, the functions, duties and obligations of the township have changed over the years. Demands for increased or different services have prompted the state legislature to grant Ohio's 1,309 townships the authority to fulfill many of the changing demands.
Township administration in all Ohio townships is governed
by three trustees and a fiscal officer, each elected for
a four-year term. Officially they fill their offices on a
part-time basis, but they are always ready to meet their
responsibilities and put in many hours of work to serve their
constituents. Their accessibility to the township residents
and their intimate knowledge of their community, its needs,
and its citizens enables them to offer more personal service
than any other unit of government.
The Monroe Township Board of Trustees meets regularly at
the Monroe Township Meeting Room on the first and third Mondays
of each month to conduct Township government business. When
the first or third Monday falls on a National Holiday, the
Township Board meeting is held on the next Tuesday. All special
meetings are advertised. There are public comment sections
listed in each meeting agenda and the public is welcome to
address the Board at meetings.
Today, the geographic area of Monroe Township is composed
of 24.23 square miles of unincorporated area with 6.96 square
miles in the incorporation of Tipp City. It is unique in
that Tipp City (formerly Tippecanoe) remains a part of the
township to this day. The Monroe Township Trustees govern
the un-incorporated areas of the township while governance
of the incorporated area is by the Tipp City Council.
According to the 2000 Census, Monroe Township has a population
of 6,118 persons living in the unincorporated area while
the population in the incorporated area is 9,221 persons.
Monroe Township is the 57th most populated township in the
state due in part to the City of Tipp City being within the
The major priority for the Monroe Township Trustees and
their staff is to provide needed services while maintaining
the quality of life that the township residents have come
Disclaimer: The Township has made every effort to make certain that the information contained on this web site is accurate and correct. The information provided is subject to change without notification. The Township cannot be responsible for any inaccuracies or omissions. Also, the Township cannot be responsible for information contained on pages linked herein that are not maintained by the Township. Please contact Monroe Township at 937-667-3136 to verify accuracy, clarification, and/or for additional information.